Sunday, September 12, 2010

Our Amazing Summer! Part 5

Alright we're now on the home stretch!
The final part of this summer brings us to Sweden in August, where I am part of a program called the World's Children's Prize for the Right's of the Child. I am part of a jury with around fifteen other children from all over the world who have either suffered from children's rights infractions or are working for children's rights. Every year, we decide out of three candidates who will receive an award for their work for children's rights. It's always so hard to decide! You are part of the jury until you turn eighteen, when you are considered an adult. The other jury members feel like brothers and sisters to m now. In this blog post I will introduce you to some of these beautiful children. I will introduce you to Gaba and Mofat.
Gabatshwane, or Gaba as I call her is from South Africa and became an AIDS orphan when she was five years old. For years she and her brother were shunned by her village after her parents passed away. One day she and her brother, Vusi discovered that Gaba had a beautiful voice. Gaba nows sings for awareness and funds in order to help HIV and AIDS orphans in South Africa. I call her my African sister! The first year I was on the jury, Gaba was my room mate. Th very first night, before I went to sleep, I said "Gaba, I hope I don't get homesick." Gaba asked me "What is homesick?" I told her that homesick is when you miss your mom and dad so much, you feel like your heart might break. Gaba said "Then I am homesick all the time." Gaba now calls my Mom and Dad, Mom and Dad and whenever my mom talks about how many kids she has, she always includes her two African children. It is always so hard to say good bye when our time in Sweden ends. Next year is Gaba's last year on the jury and I have no idea how I'm going to say good bye then. Mofat is also an AIDS orphan. He lives in Kenya and is HIV positive himself. He has such a beautiful and strong spirit. He courageously advocates and works for children living their lives HIV positive and orphaned. I love him, he speaks perfect English and he made me laugh alot. He offered to teach my mom how to break dance. It could have gotten dangerous, so I talked him out of it. To meet more of the children go to childrensworld.org. I got to spend the afternoon with Nelson Mandela's wife, Ms. Machelle. She is incredibly inspiring! There is such a beautiful light in her eyes. To get to spend an afternoon with her was the most amazing gift. She has invited me to stay with her and Mr. Mandela when I come to visit Gaba in South Africa. Mr. Mandela's wife works tirelessly for children's rights especially the rights of young girls. Later I will write you about my great friend Hamoodi from Palestine, but for now I must be off to the barn. Felix awaits!

0 comments: